Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Corned beef with cabbage is a St. Pat’s tradition in the McGoldrick household. Here’s a recipe for the classic Irish dish.
Recipe modified from Epicurious.
Serves 6 to 8
- 4 lbs corned brisket of beef
- 3 large carrots, cut into large chunks
- 6 to 8 small onions
- 1 tsp dry English mustard
- large sprig fresh thyme and some parsley stalks, tied together
- 1 cabbage
- freshly ground pepper
- Put the brisket into a saucepan with the carrots, onions, mustard and the herbs.
- Cover with cold water, and bring gently to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Discard the outer leaves of the cabbage, cut in quarters and add to the pot.
- Cook for another 1 to 2 hours, or until the meat and vegetables are soft and tender.
- Serve the corned beef in slices, surrounded by the vegetables.
- Serve with potatoes, a cold Guinness and these delicious chocolate stout cupcakes from Skinnytaste.com.