Happy National Chili Day! If you’re anything like me, you don’t have time to come home and spend an hour cooking a pot of chili on the stove. Martha to the rescue! I found a great 30-minute chili recipe on her website. Now you can celebrate this holiday AND eat before 8 PM. #Winning
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 lbs ground beef chuck
- 3 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 bottle (12 oz) mild lager beer
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven or large (5-quart) heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high.
- Add onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, chipotles, and cinnamon. Cook, stirring, until mixture has begun to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add beef, and cook, breaking it up with a spoon until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with their juice, beer, and beans. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a rapid simmer.
- Cook over medium heat until chili has thickened slightly and beans are tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.