It’s finally here! Happy National Peanut Butter Day! Okay, so maybe I’m a little too excited about the holiday, but come on, who doesn’t love peanut butter? In fact, to celebrate the holiday, I have rounded up some fun facts about one of America’s favorite foods…
1. The average American boy eats 1500 peanut butter sandwiches before reaching the age of 18.
2. Due to its high fat and protein content, peanut butter is used as base emergency food for famine-stricken countries.
3. Creamy peanut butter can be used to remove chewing gum from clothes and hair.
4. The world’s largest peanut butter and jelly sandwich was created November 6, 1993 in Peanut, Pennsylvania and was 40 ft long. It contained 150 lbs of peanut butter and 50 lbs of jelly.
5. The U.S. market for peanut butter amounts to 800 million dollars per year.
And last, here is my Ode to Peanut Butter:
Oh Peter Pan,
So creamy and thick,
Out of all the brands in the store,
It is you that I pick.
I eat you by the spoonful,
And slather you on bread.
It is you I want to eat,
Until the day that I am dead.
I don’t want any substitutes –
None of those copycat spreads.
Give me some Peter Pan,
And put me to bed.
What’s your favorite way to eat peanut butter?